Saturday, February 21, 2009

Unit 4 Part 2

1. What is the main subject of your question?
Jobs in Business

2. What subject guide or guides did you use to identify the relevant databases for your question?
Business


For each database you chose:
1. Which database did you choose for your search?
EBSCO host

2. What terms did you enter to conduct your search?
business opportunities AND careers

3. How many results did you retrieve?
62

4. If there were more than about 100 results, how did you refine your search terms to narrow your results?
I was getting results with thousands of sources, so I used the Boolean Operator and to refine my search and narrow it down to useful information.

5. Once you got your results to around 100 (or fewer), how did you determine they were meaningful?
I went through and read some of the article titles and their brief descriptions to make sure I was headed in the right direction.

6. Which article did you choose? Give the bibliographic information for that article (I must be able to access this article).
Opportunity Knocks.
Toledo, Roberto
Dec.2008, Vol. 22 Issue 12, p30-30, 1p

7. How did you determine these articles were meaningful?
I found out that this article was meaningful by reading the small summary it gave. I clicked on view complete PDF version, and the whole article was presented to me. I read about how in tough economic times this may be the time to go solo in business. It gave me a different outlook than those I was looking at before, but it is still an option for me that was useful to read. Many people have had success in entrepreneurial business and it is definitely in the back of my mind.

2 comments:

  1. Remember, EBSCOHost is a "platform" not a database. There are many databases on this platform (just click on "choose databases" when you open the platform--it's near the top of the screen).

    Also, when you give bibliographic information about your article, you need to include the name of the journal title. You've cited article title, author, year, volume, issues, and pages - all important - but if the journal title is not included, it would not be possible to find this again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As for your second posting, for some reason, it wouldn't let me add a comment, so I'll just add a second comment to your first posting for this week.

    This posting works well. You have a subject/discpline-specific database--General BusinessFile--and you have given full bibliographic information so that anyone can find this article, if they want.

    ReplyDelete