1. What terms did you enter to conduct your search?
Jobs in business
2. How many results did you retrieve?
218
3. If there were more than about 100 results, how did you refine your search terms to narrow your results?
I used AND to refine my search to read, Jobs in business AND field.
4. What differences did you note in how you needed to manipulate your search terms in this different database?
I noticed the need for the Boolean Operator. My terms were broad at first, but would not show up all together in the text. The adding of and helped me find an article about hot new jobs in the business field. I also tried to change around the select a field tab, but I did not have as much success.
5. Once you got your results to around 100 (or fewer), how did you determine they were meaningful?
I knew my results were useful because two of them focused on the exact answer was trying to answer. The results gave me hot jobs in business which is what I was interested in finding. One of the articles was about business digest while another focused on a certain company in general. Another useful article that was found was about in and out business jobs.
6. Which article did you choose? Give the bibliographic information for that article (I must be able to access this article).
I chose the article titled Hot Jobs in Business.
Author: Caruso, Andrea
Source: Nov/Dec95, Vol. 24 Issue 3, p29, 2p, 2bw
7. How did you determine this article was meaningful?
I read the summary of what the article was about and knew that it would be a helpful one for me. It talks about the national demand for different types of bussiness careers. It gives the tasks of accountants and marketers along with how many will be employed in the near future. It is basically a guide showing where jobs will become available in the future and the tasks that one will need to perform on recieving the job.
Friday, February 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
First, I wouldn't use "in" for a search, particularly in a database. This will cloud your results.
ReplyDeletejobs
AND business
will work more effectively. As for adding a third term, like "field," you can certainly add another term. I'm not sure "field" is your best choice, as it will cloud results with agriculture and other ideas of the meaning of "field," but it's still better than using "in."
I say this in spite of the fact that you found what you wanted, which is good!
As for your evaluation, relevance is a key consideration (remember C.A.R.D.I.O.). Another key consideration is the fact that inclusion in databases, especially subscription databases, means that the material has been vetted for authority, unlike the web.