Tuesday, January 27, 2009

My goldilocks!

1) Your topic string
a. Your broadest topic (1/2 point)
Solving the economy crisis
My major really relates to the topic of the economy crisis we are currently in right now. I want to know if I am in the right major to help fix the problem.
b. Your next broad topic (1/2 point)
restimulating businesses and helping the dollar appreciate in value

The first step in solving the economy crisis is by helping businesses succeed again. Money needs to be flowing in the economy in order for the dollar to appreciate and be what it once was. Businesses will help start this process.

c. Your starting topic (1 point)
Becoming a Business major and its benefits

This is the topic I started with since it relates directly to me. Starting with this question will help me find out the bigger problem I am working towards, and the smaller steps that will lead me to the solution.


d. Your narrower topic (1/2 point)
Job opportunities that a business major leads you to

Job opportunities are scarce in today’s society. I wanted to know where my major is taking me and if I would have a job waiting for me after all of my hard work. Coming from one of the top business schools around and after my research, I feel very confident.



e. Your even narrower topic (1/2 point)
Duties of a financial analyst

I researched jobs and narrowed one of my choices to a financial analyst. My brother-in-law is a financial analyst and his job really seems interesting. I would directly be able to help people manage their money, which would be a giant step in helping the economy.


2) Think of two questions that you could ask about your topic
a. How many job opportunities will be available in the business market in the next years trying to help restimulate the economy? (1/2 point)
b. Is 2009 a good time to be seeking a business degree? (1/2 point)
c. Will the dollar appreciate in value as more businesses begin helping America’s advancement?

2 comments:

  1. Let's look at this string:

    Solving the economic crisis;
    re-stimulating businesses and helping the dollar appreciate in value;
    Becoming a Business major and its benefits;
    Job opportunities that a business major leads you to;
    Duties of a financial analyst

    A quick glance should tell you that you are not using the same topic. You wrote: "My major really relates to the topic of the economy crisis we are currently in right now. I want to know if I am in the right major to help fix the problem." That's certainly a noble reason for choosing a major, but a reason for choosing the economic crisis is not part of the logic of a topic string.

    Economic crisis is a broad topic and the broadest one you offer. Re-stimulating businesses and helping the dollar appreciate in value is certainly a sub-set of the crisis and fits inside this topic.

    Now, we switch to a different topic:

    Becoming a Business major and its benefits;
    Job opportunities that a business major leads you to;
    Duties of a financial analyst

    Let's look at this different topic. Do these go logically from larger to smaller? In one way, they might, but it's a bit of a stretch. Becoming a business major is the largest. Job opportunities within that major is smaller. Duties of a financial analyst, however, is not. If you had suggested Job opportunities for a financial analyst, that would be smaller because now that you've chosen the "job" string, looking for those opportunities in a subset of the larger field would be.

    The other way you could go with this is

    Becoming a Business major and its benefits
    SOMETHING THAT FITS BETWEEN
    Duties of a financial analyst

    In this case, you're looking at the duties of jobs, not job opportunities, so you'd need to find something between business and financial analyst, e.g. the activities or duties of a financier. Then you could choose financial analyst within the larger finance field which is, in turn, a subset of business.

    Do you see this logic?

    As for your questions, they're fine. They, too, however, reflect both subjects. The first two are about jobs/career; the last one is about the economic crisis.

    For the purpose of the catalog and database searches that we'll do over the next few weeks, I'd like you to focus on one of these, preferably the questions related to the economic crisis as I think it will be easier to search effectively in the sources to which I will send you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand, it was just difficult trying to relate it to me as much as possible. Thanks for the help, I should be able to make it better and more helpful over the upcoming weeks.

    ReplyDelete