What question did you try to answer?
How do you construct a box plot?
What terms did you select to begin?
construct box plot
What web search engine or engines did you use?
Google, Yahoo!, Gigablast
What search terms did you use?
construct OR box plot construct+box+plot "construct box plot"
What search techniques did you try?
Excluding words, Boolean operator, nesting
How did you evaluate your results?
I noticed that I recieved the most relevant information when I used the nesting technique. I used the delicious tool to bookmark one website from each search engine: Yahoo!, Google, and Gigablast. I used information from one of the webpages Google retrived for me because it answered my question perfectly. The title was how to construct a box plot, and it showed the method step by step. I also used C.A.R.D.I.O. to help evaluate my results.
What conclusions did you draw about the different search engines? Consider i. what was the same? ii. what was different? iii. Differences in numbers of results iv. etc.
Gigablast was the search engine that had the most specific answers. It was precise with a smaller set of results. Yahoo! was the largest, finding over 500,000 more results than Google, and an astounding 2.9 million more that gigablast. Google gave me step by step instructions, where Yahoo! gave me information on box plots and other terms that involved the topic. Gigablast did not really help me as it honed in on the specific words. For example it came up with how to construct a rhombus, and things having to do with movie plots. I felt that Google was the most helpful search engine in this case. They all offered graphs and other math tools to help answer my question.
Why do you think the search engines behaved as they did?
I think Google found such a great match because it lists results by popularity. People around the world are taking math classes and research how to construct a box plot. I assume that this website was extremely popular because it was so to the point and easy to follow. Yahoo! also had a similar result called making a box plot. It was also very good, but it was not as easy to follow with the steps that the websit Google found me. Gigablast found a great website that acted as a math tool, however only found a few related results. Gigablast reacted this way because it tried to use the words I entered and there relevancy throughout the web. It gave me some good sites, but some sites that were irrelevant due to the specific search of one certain word.
What other questions came into your mind as you carried out this exercise?
While researching my question I also wondered, what other methods are there to graph information in statistics? What jobs use the construction of box plots in their everyday work?
Monday, January 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Great answers. I'm also glad to see you state that google was the most helpful "in this case." You recognize that the usefulness of search engines can vary according to the questions you're researching. That's very important.
ReplyDeleteGood work.