Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Log 2

How can a balance be achieved between protecting privacy and meeting the needs of national security? (1 point) Fair use is used in order to help create a balance. Privacy is still protected, meaning other people cannot steal their work. However for certain circumstances, such as teaching, parts of copyrighted work can be used. This is for the benefit of the society as a whole and creates thoughts and puts ideas into other's minds. We make new discoveries based on old thoughts, so therefor fair use is justified.

How did you react to the list of challenged books (were you surprised, for example)? Do you think some books should be banned or should all books be freely available? Why?
Yes I was surprised to see some of the challenged books and authors on the list. Many of the books on the list were ones that we read in high school, many of them being very good novels. I feel as if all books should be freely available, do to all of the freedoms we have as Americans. Authors should be able to write what they wish for their books whether we agree or not. It is not our decision what should be baned or not. We have the final say because we get to choose in the end to read or not to read, and that is the question!

How have your overall ideas about information ethics changed or not changed after completing this unit?
When I hear the word copyright, I automatically think you cannot ever use any part of this work. I have now realized that due to fair use, some parts of works may be used in certain circumstances. I have also learned that copyrights do not last forever. I understand now why things are copyrighted and the exact purpose is actually to help everyone. We can use ideas and parts of other's works in order to build newer ideas for the future.

1 comment:

  1. I actually intended the first question to be about privacy in a larger sense than just copyright, but your points are fine.

    Privacy is something that is continually challenged, particularly in regard to the Internet, the use of social networking, etc.

    As a point of interest, there's a library law that keeps patron records private. We never let anyone know what books a patron borrows unless it's a law enforcement agency that has secured a search warrant. So what you borrow is as private as it can be.

    As for the banned book list, I agree with you completely. I am very much opposed to censorship, so it has been interesting to read comments from this class that range from the perspective you and I share to a belief in controlling books.

    When it comes to copyright expiring, it does, but since the inception of copyright at the beginning of this country, there have been 13 extensions in the length of copyright. We're now at life of the author plus 70 years. One of the major opponents of fair use and proponents of lengthening copyright is Disney. When I consider that Disney made its original money by using fairy tales for free, I find it ironic that they take this opposite stance.

    Changing times, I suppose!

    ReplyDelete